As a girl who grew up in an Italian family and didn’t eat tomatoes or cheese, sausage and peppers was one of the few Italian dishes I liked. Sausage and Peppers is definitely a comfort food. Sausage and Peppers also doesn’t require a lot of ingredients so it’s an easy dish to throw together. I decided to modernize the dish a bit using some pancetta and some of the mustard I had purchased the weekend before in Toronto…
To make the sausage and peppers I put sausage and pancetta in a large skillet over medium heat. I let the sausage and pancetta cook, stirring occasionally for 12 minutes.
Then I removed the sausage and pancetta and let that aside.
I melted butter in the skillet and added garlic, white and red onion slices.
I cooked for 2 minutes before adding white wine and letting that simmer for a minute while scraping the bottom of the pan.
Then the sausage and pancetta went back in the skillet. I gave that a stir…
And I added sliced red and green bell peppers. I stirred and let that cook for 15 minutes, stirring few times.
I removed from the skillet and plated. Then I drizzled with mustard vinaigrette.
I did not take photos of making the vinaigrette but the recipe for that is below. The recipe makes enough vinaigrette to yield extra to use on salads and such. But as I stated in the entry of this post I bought the mustard in Toronto. Matt and I took a weekend trip there. We had a great time going to Eaton Centre for shopping, The Distillery District for dinner and drinks, St. Lawrence Market where we bought Kozlik’s mustard at, Queen Street for shopping, Kensington Market where I had a $10/10 minute portrait painted and best of all – MOMOFUKU, my favorite chef David Chang’s restaurant!! And at Momofuku we ran into and talked to actor Michael Shannon – who was in my favorite shows Boardwalk Empire!
All in all I really liked the added flavor punches the pancetta and mustard added to this Italian classic dish!
- 1/2 TB Dijon Mustard
- ¾ TB sherry vinegar
- ½ TB fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup light olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, smashed and skin removed
- Whisk together mustard, vinegar, lemon juice with salt and pepper to taste. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Once combined place garlic clove in the dressing. Cover and let stand at least half an hour. Remove garlic clove before using.
- 1 lb Italian Sausage, cut into 1” pieces
- 3 oz pancetta, diced
- 1 ½ TB butter
- 1 TB garlic, minced
- ¼ cup white onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 TB white wine
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Mustard Vinaigrette, for drizzling
- Put sausage and pancetta in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 12 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove sausage and pancetta from the skillet and set aside in a bowl.
- Put butter in the skillet. Once melted add garlic and onions and cook stirring occasionally for 2 minutes. Add wine to the skillet. Stir and let simmer for 1 minute scraping the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon. Add sausage and pancetta back to the skillet and stir. Add bell peppers to the skillet and cook stirring a few times for 15 minutes.
- Divide among 2 plates and drizzle with mustard vinaigrette.
- Serves 2