I receive a lot of cooking/food website newsletters. I would say on an on average day I will receive between 7-10 newsletters from different sites. What I find hilariously funny is the vast difference from the theme of the newsletters from Christmastime to January 1st. Prior to New Year the recipes are all decadent and indulgent. After the New Year it’s all healthy, cleanse, etc. This year there seem to be an overload of brown rice bowl recipes out there, so couple of weeks into January I figured it’s time me to make a “new year” themed brown rice bowl recipe.
I decided to make chicken and veggies in a peanut sauce over brown rice. I started by marinating diced raw chicken and mixing it with salt, pepper, soy sauce, sambal oelek (chili sauce), brown sugar, lime juice, rice vinegar and sesame oil. I covered and refrigerated for an hour and half.
Meanwhile I made the peanut sauce. I mixed soy sauce, sambal oelek, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil and crunchy peanut butter.
I heated olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Then I added my chicken and cooked stirring occasionally for 4 minutes.
I removed the chicken from the skillet and heated more olive oil in the skillet before adding garlic, broccoli and red bell pepper. I cooked stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
Then I added the chicken back to the skillet along with peanut sauce. I stirred and cooked another 2 minutes.
I served the peanut chicken and veggies over brown rice topped with green onions.
How did it taste: Pretty darn tasty! The sauce was a nice compliment to the chicken and red peppers but especially the broccoli. The peanut chunks (from the chunky peanut butter) gave the dish a nice contrast in texture. I ate this dish for dinner and then packed up the leftovers for work lunches and it was a nice break from the sandwich/soup/salad I normally eat. And I don’t think it lost any of its yumminess spending a minute in the microwave.
- ¼ lb chicken breast, diced
- Salt & Pepper
- ½ TB soy sauce
- ½ tsp sambal oelek (chili sauce)
- ¼ tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp rice vinegar
- ½ cup brown rice
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets, stem discarded
- 1 recipe for peanut sauce, below
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Place chicken in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the soy sauce, sambal oelek, lime juice, rice vinegar, sesame oil and mix. Set aside.
- Cook rice according to package instructions. While rice cooks make the recipe for peanut sauce (recipe below). When rice is done cooking remove from heat but keep covered to keep warm.
- Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot add chicken and cook stirring occasionally for 4 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet. Once hot add garlic, red pepper and broccoli. Cook stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Add chicken back to the skillet and stir in peanut sauce. Cook stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Divide rice among bowls. Top with equal portions of chicken and veggies. Garnish with green onion.
- 3-4 servings. Makes a great next day lunch.
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sambal oelek
- ½ tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 TB crunchy peanut butter
- Mix all the ingredients until combined. Stir in a little bit of water to thin sauce if needed.