This past Christmas I received several new cookbooks. This is the first of the new (Christmas) cookbooks I am trying a recipe from. So far I am impressed! The recipe I made was easy to follow, gave some great tips (which I even learned something new) and had options for vegetables medleys to use based on what season it is. I have to say I am really impressed with the first of my new cookbooks!
The cookbook is:
The recipe I made was for One-Pan Roasted Rosemary Chicken with Seasonal Vegetables.
To start with I preheated my oven and took boneless skin on chicken breasts and salted and peppered both sides. I placed my cast iron skillet over medium high heat and placed the chicken skin side down onto the cold skillet. Now normally I wait for my pan to warm up before I add food to it. But the recipe gave a “cheffy nugget” that if you place the chicken on a cold skillet you will achieve extra crispy skin.
Meanwhile I mixed minced garlic and rosemary with white wine and olive oil.
Then I removed the skillet from heat. I flipped the chicken and placed seasonal vegetables around the chicken. The cookbook gave some ideas of vegetables to use based on what season you are in. I decided to be hopeful and chose to make the spring vegetables – asparagus, fennel and leek. I drizzled everything with the sauce and popped the skillet in the oven.
After 20 minutes I removed from the oven and divided the chicken and vegetable among plates and served.
How did it taste: Wow, I have never had such a nice crisp on chicken skin before. Nice “cheffy nugget” Plated! The flavor was homey and comforting. The recipe came together easily and quickly and would make a great dinner for a busy weeknight. Plus with only using 1 pan dishes were minimal! I am pretty impressed with the Plated cookbook so far. If you like easy recipes with seasonal ingredients I recommend checking this book out!
- 2 boneless skin on chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 TB olive oil
- Seasonal Vegetables, see "notes" below
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Place a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Before skillet heats up place chicken skin side down on the skillet. Cook without disturbing for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix rosemary, garlic, white wine and olive oil.
- When the 8 minutes has expired for the chicken remove the skillet from heat and flip chicken. Place seasonal vegetables around the chicken and drizzle the chicken and vegetables with the sauce.
- Place the skillet in the oven. Remove from oven after 20 minutes. Divide chicken and vegetables among plates and serve.
- Serves 2
- SPRING seasonal vegetables: 1 bunch of asparagus (cut into 2 inch pieces), 1 small fennel bulb (cut into wedges) and 1 leek (top leaves discarded, halved lengthwise and cut into 2 inch lengths)
- SUMMER seasonal vegetables: 1 yellow squash and 1 zucchini (both cut into half inch slices)
- FALL seasonal vegetables: 1 bunch of carrots and 3 parsnips (both cut into 1/4 inch spears)
- WINTER seasonal vegetables: 8 oz brussel sprouts (quartered) and 1 sweet potato (cut into large dice)